Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Greed and the Citi



We are paying $400 million for the new Mets stadium. Shit, I don’t even live in New York.

Here’s how I got to this conclusion. Last week, Representatives Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and Ted Poe (R-Tex) called for Citigroup to withdraw its name from the new Mets stadium. Citi is paying $400 million to have their name on the stadium for 20 years. The government gave Citigroup $45 billion in federal bailout money. Ergo, I am paying for the Mets new stadium.

It’s no surprise Citigroup refuses to break their contract and ditch their deal. They’re a bank. They like money. They follow the moronic belief that having your name on a baseball stadium makes people want to support you. I’m from Cleveland, and when Progressive renamed the Jake I was more turned off by them than willing to switch my insurance.

I’m not mad at Citigroup. Not only are they under contract with the Mets but if you expected them to dip out you are stupid. I’ll say it again, they’re a bank. If I had my own language, bank would be another word for greed. That would be like standing in front of a bear and expecting it not to rip your arms off.

I’m pissed at the Mets.

Yes, $400 million is a lot of money to give up. But you’re the fucking Mets. You’re one of the most popular teams in the biggest market in the country. I’m sure you can find another sponsor. Maybe not for $400 million, but you’ll still make money.

I’m not a Mets fan. I have no interest in paying Francisco Rodriguez or Carlos Beltran. It makes no difference to me if they win they crumble at the end of the season again or win the World Series (unless they're playing the Indians).

I keep saying $400 million because it’s a shit-ton of money.

$400,000,000.00

Anyway, I am officially protesting the Mets. That really doesn’t entitle much considering I have never paid to watch them in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment