Monday, February 23, 2009

Not Too Shabby

Okay, so I really hate to sound like a local guy (because I'm really not), but the Cincinnati Reds could make a run this year at the NL Central.

Ask anyone that knows me; I'm a diehard Indians' fan, but I'm sitting at my internship right now, looking up news stories and I see a post that Homer Bailey is fighting for the fifth spot in the Reds' roation. While Bailey has gone from promising prospect to bud of many jokes among vendors, the rest of the rotation looks pretty strong.

Edinson Volquez was a 17 game winner last year and the starter for the NL in the All-Star Game. Johnny Cueto may have finished the season with 14 losses and an ERA over 4.80 but early in the season she showed a lot of promise. If he can stay consistent he can be dangerous at the back end.

Then there's the older guys, starting with Bronson Arroyo. His hair makes him look like the goofiest dude in the world (thank god he still doesn't have the cornrows like in 04). But Arroyo has been a solid starter before. I remember going to games at the beginning of the season and yelling to remind him that no sponsor likes a loser. I mean he looked absolutely horrible. Maybe Time-Warner Cable called and threatened to cancel his contract, but he finished the season with 15 wins and 200 innings pitched.

The real question is can Aaron Harang bounce back? In 06' and 07' he had well over 200 strikeouts and 16 wins. I have no idea what the hell was wrong with him last year but if he can put that nightmare of a 6-17 record behind him, the ace could keep this team in contention.

Of course, all of this is based on some big "ifs." IF Cueto can play to his potential. IF Arroyo can be consistent. IF Harang has a short memory. IF Volquez isn't a one year wonder. And don't forget... IF the young hitters can give the team enough offense.

Then again, these are the Reds. If/then is usually the same story every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment